Grand Slam Qualification Tournament, Wien 11.11.2021 – 12.11.2021
Venue: Go7 club, Mariahilfer Straße 82
- 11.11.2021 (Thursday)
- 10:00 Round 1
- 14:00 Round 2
- 18:00 Round 3
- 12.11.2021 (Friday)
- 10:00 Round 4
- 14:00 Round 5
- Afterwards: Closing ceremony
- MacMahon, no handicap, komi 7.5 points, Chinese rules
- Time controls: Fischer time 45/20
Read about the Grand Slam tournament system.
An invitation goes to every player with a maximum rating of 2551 or higher between 1st August 2021 and 31st October 2021, as well as players who won bonus points in the Grand Prix 2019 and/or 2020. Participants are required to have been a citizen of an EGF member country for at least ten years.
Entry fee: EUR 20
Referee: To be decided
Some more information about the Grand Slam 2021 and the Grand Slam Qualification event:
- This year’s Grand Slam will be played with 16 players, in Serbia. The date and the venue are not finalized, but it will be a four-day tournament in the middle of December, earliest on 9th December, either in Belgrad or another city in Serbia.
- The following twelve players are already qualified for the Grand Slam: Ilya Shikshin, Ali Jabarin, Andrii Kravets, Artem Kachanovskyi, Pavol Lisy, Mateusz Surma, Tanguy LeCalve, Lukas Podpera, Stanislaw Frejlak, Cornel Burzo, Alexandr Dinerchtein, Benjamin Drean-Guenaizia.
- Additionally the winner of the upcoming Professional Qualification event, which will take place at the end of October in Leksand, will qualify for the Grand Slam kin Serbia.
- CEGO gets one wildcard, which will be decided after the Grand Slam Qualification in Vienna.
Therefore two or three seats are left and will be given as prizes to be won in Vienna:
- two seats are guaranteed.
- three seats if the eighth EGF pro will be one of the following: Lukas, Stranislaw, Cornel, Benjamin D.
- Every participant of the Grand Slam will win money, even if all games are lost!
Helmut Wiltschek Memorial (Austrian Open)
Players are also welcome to play in the weekend Helmut Wiltschek Memorial (Austrian Open) tournament, which starts just after the Grand Slam Qualification tournament.
The 3G rule (short for German “geimpft, getestet, genesen”, meaning “vaccinated, tested, recovered”) is used to define low-risk groups in epidemiological terms. The “Green Pass“ (app or printout) confirms that you are vaccinated, tested, or have recovered from COVID-19. If your vaccine requires two vaccinations, please make sure that your confirmation actually shows both vaccinations. Note: This will be checked; if you cannot provide a valid confirmation you cannot enter the Go7!
You need to wear an FFP2 mask in shops, on public transport and in station buildings.
Wherever you are required to show your 3G status (e.g., in the Go7 club or in restaurants) you do not need to wear a mask.
The Go7 club is located centrally on one of Vienna’s main shopping streets. The underground station Zieglergasse on the U3 (orange line) is directly adjacent.
You can buy public transport tickets using the Wien mobil app.
You can also use the Wiener Linien journey planner.
Or you can use this comprehensive public transport map (PDF).
Note that the underground line U2 (violet line) currently does not run between Karlsplatz and Schottenring; there is a U2Z tram as a replacement, or just use one of the trams that run along the Ringstraße.
How to get to the Go7
From Wien Hauptbahnhof (main railway station): Take the U1 line (direction Leopoldau) to Stephansplatz, then the U3 line (direction Ottakring) to Zieglergasse. You could also take the 13A bus (direction Laudongasse) to Neubaugasse, which is a two-minute walk away from the Go7.
From Wien Meidling: Take the line U6 (direction Floridsdorf) to Westbahnhof, then the U3 line (direction Simmering) to Zieglergasse.
From Wien Westbahnhof: Take the U3 line (direction Simmering) to Zieglergasse.
From Vienna International Airport: Take the regular S-Bahn line S7 (not the green CAT, which is an expensive tourist trap) towards Floridsdorf. You can buy a ticket for about EUR 4 at the machine, which is valid for the entire trip to the tournament location. At the stop Wien Mitte (Landstraße) change to the underground line U3 (direction Ottakring) and go to Zieglergasse. You could also take a Vienna Airport Lines bus to Westbahnhof; this is slightly more expensive (single ticket EUR 8, return ticket EUR 13) but convenient as you don’t have to change and could also walk from Westbahnhof to the Go7 club.
- Organizers: Marcel Grünauer, Jürgen Suntinger
- Phone: +43 678 1228 770
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact the organizers.